NICK CASAL RECOVERING AFTER VICIOUS ATTACK
BUFFALO – The father of light welterweight boxer Nick Casal considers his son lucky to be alive after sustaining several deep cuts to his head in an attack last weekend.
Calling his son “blessed,” Ray Casal told The Associated Press by phone on Monday that Nick is conscious while recovering at a Buffalo hospital. The most recent tests conducted earlier in the day showed no signs of brain damage, and doctors expect him to make a complete recovery, the father said.
“It’s miraculous actually. Even the doctor was shocked,” Casal said. “For him to come out of it with no problems, it’s unheard of.”
The attack occurred Saturday morning in the town of Niagara, said police, without revealing other details because the investigation continues.
Casal said his son lost a large amount of blood, and that it took doctors three hours to close several gashes on the side and back of his head. His son’s tooth was chipped and one arm severely swollen but not broken after he was struck at least 15 times across the head and body with what the father described to be a light metal object.
Despite the severity and depth of the cuts, tests also showed Casal’s skull was not fractured.
The injuries forced the cancellation of a fight between Casal (22-4-1) and Ruslan Provodnikov (21-1-0) for the World Boxing Organization‘s intercontinental title at a Niagara Falls casino next month. Because it was the main event, the entire card has been canceled. Continue Reading…