Big news erupting in the world of boxing so without further ado, here is your Around the Ring:
- Breaking News – At the World Boxing Organization (WBO) convention happening right now in Orlando, Florida, the sanctioning body has officially stripped Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux of the super bantamweight title for not defending it according to their rules. Now Mexican Cesar Juarez, ranked at #1, and Nonito Donaire, ranked at #2, might now fight each other for the vacant title.
- The Saga of Pacquiao, Khan and Floyd – With the news that Pacquiao’s last fight will be as soon as April 9th of next year, Amir Khan keeps insisting that he still has a shot to be an opponent. At the same time, Bob Arum has stated that with his performance last Saturday night, Terence Crawford might be first on the list. For his part, Pacquiao posted a video on his social accounts where he says that he is negotiating directly with none other than Floyd Mayweather Jr. Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, stated Mayweather Jr is not coming back but it is rumored the new arena being built in Las Vegas has a date set apart for one Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr but its not April 9th.
- “Canelo” vs. Rios or Bradley? – In statements made after Crawford beat Jean this past Saturday night in Omaha, Nebraska, Arum said that the winner of the November 7th fight between Timothy Bradley and Brandon Rios might be next in line to face Saul “Canelo” Alvarez if the Mexican beats Miguel Cotto on the 21st. That is all good and dandy but what about the edict laid out by Mauricio Sulaiman, head of the WBC, stating the winner of Cotto-“Canelo” must defend against Gennady Golovkin? If Alvarez were to win, the WBC might try to get out of their own rules by stating the “Canelo” has a right to do one voluntary defense which would be against either Rios or Bradley. If Cotto would to win, then there is no way around facing “GGG” or vacating the title.
- Roy a Russian – In a special ceremony, former multi-divisional champ Roy Jones Jr was issued a Russian passport and with that citizenship in that country. Jones Jr celebrated by stating “I am a Russian” in his new native language. Jones Jr has fought many times in that country and will do so again before the end of the year. He is scheduled to face Enzo Maccarinelli for the WBA “regular” cruiserweight title.
- Shane Going Strong – Riding on the wave of his most recent win over Ricardo Mayorga, “Sugar” Shane Mosley has turned down a fight against WBO super welterweight champion Liam Smith for later this year. The American said he was willing to travel to England to challenge for the title but the promoter asked for a rematch clause. Mosley stated he has a big fight for early 2016 so he cannot do the rematch clause so it is a deal breaker for the ex-world champion.